Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 5, 2009

250 to 400 Million Years Ago







We went with a group from camp to an old quarry east of Hatch, NM. The long, windy, sometimes quite rough gravel road that we followed to get to the quarry goes as far as Redhorse Mountain. We didn't go quite to the mountain. There is the most beautiful crystal, quartz and multicolored rock here that you can chisel and hammer out. I tried to take a picture of one little ravine with the rock in the bottom -- in the full sun it didn't turn out well enough to really see how pretty the rock is. Along the sides of the cliffs --- Jim is up on one -- you could find thousands of fragments of fossils. We found fossilized seashells and what looks like rock with little fossilized seeds and stems but it could be some tiny sea creatures. Our first fossil finds --It was great! Of course Jim was busy swinging his pickaxe to get them out. This whole part of New Mexico used to be underwater as part of a great inland sea. There are pockets of these kinds of treasures all over --on public land -- you just need to know where to go.
Most of the group concentrated on finding big beautiful rocks to take home. They filled up the backs of their vehicles with their treasures. We then decided to stop in Hatch for lunch. Hatch is known as the chili pepper capital. It's a small town along the Rio Grande south of TrC that is heavily farmed with the irrigation water from the river. All the crops are in and starting to grow -- onions, chili peppers, alfalfa, cotton and huge tracts of pecan trees. Acreage with irrigation/water rights goes for at least $8000 an acre and much more with mature pecan trees.
Lunch at Sparky's in Hatch was great. We had the green chili cheeseburgers - very good -- not hot -just good flvaor. Most order the barbeque pulled pork or ribs. Its always served without the barbeque sauce. You add that yourself at the table -- served like ketchup. Outside the restaurant is a bench with a fullsize replica of Colonel Sanders (at least thats who he looks like) -- we all took turns sitting with him having our picture taken. I have to have someone email me a picture of Jim and I on the bench.
This may be the last pictures from New Mexico. We will start heading north sometime this coming week depending on the weather.

1 comment:

nabilmubarak said...


My name is Leah Brown, I'm a happy woman today? I told myself that any loan lender that could change my life and that of my family after having been scammed separately by these online loan lenders, I will refer to anyone who is looking for loan for them. It gave me and my family happiness, although at first I had a hard time trusting him because of my experiences with past loan lenders, I needed a loan of $300,000.00 to start my life everywhere as single mother with 2 children, I met this honest and God fearing online loan lender Gain Credit Loan who helped me with a $300,000.00 loan, working with a loan company Good reputation. If you are in need of a loan and you are 100% sure of paying the loan please contact (gaincreditloan1@gmail.com) You can also whatsApp them at: at +44-75967-81743 (WhatsApp Only) .. and inform them Leah Brown addressed to you ..