Total Pageviews

Monday, November 18, 2013

Very Nice and Very Odd Water Creatures


I'm still sharing pictures from Padre Island National Seashore.  We saw these wonderful Red-headed Ducks.  They are the first ones I've ever seen.  There was a whole pond full of them.  Its amazing how many birds come to the southeast coast of Texas for the winter.   Walking the beach was a challenge with all the jellyfish that washed up on shore.  The high tides must strand them on the beach and they were all over the beach.  I found out this pretty blue one that was still moving even on the sand is called a Portuguese Man O War.  Yes, their sting is poisonous but I don't think its deadly at least not the small ones.   They aren't really a true jellyfish.  They are some kind of polyp with many polyps forming one organism. 

There were other plate sized jellyfish with pink tentacles all over the beach as well but I couldn't figure out what they were called.  From what I read they can still sting even after they are "dead".   We accidentally stepped on a few while walking (we had shoes on) and they are very slippery -- its like stepping on ice.   People were fishing in the surf  and others were enjoying the water.  I couldn't believe none of them got stung.   Although people must get stung because there were notices at the visitor center on how to treat the stings (use vinegar).



No comments: