Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 4, 2016

Hummingbirds


I have a hummingbird feeder staked in the ground next to this ocotillo bush.  This Anna Hummingbird pretty much guards the feeder all day.  He fights with other hummingbirds that try to drink out of it.  Hummingbirds are pretty fearless.  This guy doesn't care if I get close.  He only gets upset with me when I'm trying to refill it then he buzzes me until I'm done.   The Yuma area has six different kinds of hummingbirds that hang out here in the winter.  Up north we only ever see ruby-throated ones so its neat to see the different kinds.

We seem to be fighting low water pressure.  The folks in charge of the local water system say they will have the system back up to full pressure by the beginning of this week.  They say its a combination of reasons that cause the low pressure.  The sudden influx of snowbirds, all of the farm fields that need irrigation, aging pipes that are leaking and breaking, etc. etc.   The water's not that great anyway -- very hard and salty.  We buy drinking water and have a little portable water softener hooked up to our water line so we've learned how to live with it.  

No comments: